A taste of the healthcare track of the UT IEM program and my research: https://youtu.be/CFS6F3gkCrY
ACADEMIC PROFILE: Derya Demirtas is an associate professor at the Center for Healthcare Operations Improvement & Research (CHOIR) in the Section of Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems at the University of Twente. Her research focuses on operations research, optimization and data analytics, location theory and their applications to healthcare and public services.
Dr. Demirtas is a recipient of the NWO (Dutch Research Council) Veni grant (2019), American Heart Association (AHA) Young Investigator Award (2015), and the Best Poster Award by the National Association of EMS Physicians (2016). She also won the second place in the INFORMS Case Competition (2020) and second place in the INFORMS Section on Public Sector Operations Research best paper competition (2012). Her research has been published in top journals such as Management Science, European Journal of Operational Research, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, and Circulation. She serves in the editorial board of the Operations Research for Health Care journal and in the board of INFORMS Forum for Women in OR/MS (WORMS). She was a visiting faculty in the Industrial and Systems Engineering and in the Center for Health & Humanitarian Systems at Georgia Tech in 2018, where she worked on disaster response.
ACADEMIC BACKGROUND: Dr. Demirtas received her BSc in Industrial Engineering with a double major in Computer Engineering from the Middle East Technical University, Turkey (2008). She then obtained her MMath in Combinatorics & Optimization from the University of Waterloo, Canada (2010), and her PhD in Industrial Engineering from the University of Toronto, Canada (2016).
IN THE MEDIA: Dr. Demirtas's research has been publicized by several media outlets including US News, the Globe and Mail, CTV News and Toronto Sun, and promoted by the Univ. of Twente: https://youtu.be/CFS6F3gkCrY.
|RESEARCH INTERESTS: Operations research, optimization, spatial data analytics and their applications in healthcare and humanitarian sector: in particular, linear and integer programming, facility location under uncertainty, covering problems, spatiotemporal trend analysis, public health resource planning, post-disaster recovery and emergency service location problems.
|RESEARCH PROJECTS: The focus of Dr. Demirtas’s research is on data-driven decision making aimed at improving healthcare and humanitarian systems. Her projects include:
Google Scholar Link
PhD Student Supervision
- Robin Buter, "Strategic placement of Automated External Defibrillators under demand and supply uncertainty," expected to graduate in 2024
- Maria van Zyl, "Process improvement in public hospitals in South Africa," expected to graduate in 2023
- Eline Tsai, “From blood withdrawal to first results,” expected to graduate in 2022
- Bruno Vieira, “Advanced Logistics Optimization of the Radiotherapy Treatment,” graduated in 2020
Graduate Student Awards Won by My Thesis Students
- Bekader (IEM & IBA alumni association) Thesis Award for IEM, first place, awarded to S.Relijveld, 2021. Thesis title: "Analysis on the Costs of Care for Colorectal Cancer Patients Using Australian Multicentered Linked Data".
- BMS faculty Graduation Award, first place, awarded to G. Holsbrink, 2021. Thesis title: "The Optimal Allocation of Casualties to Hospitals in case of a Mass-casualty Incidence".
- KHMW Philips Graduation Award for Data Science and AI in Health Care, awarded to A. Nazarian, 2018. Thesis title: "Optimizing the Deployment of Automated External Defibrillators by a Data-driven Algorithmic Approach".
Master’s Thesis Supervision (summary)
- Healthcare logistics projects at UMC, Amsterdam; ZGT, Almelo; Sint Maartenskliniek, Nijmegen; St. Antonius Hospital, Utrecht; Rijnstate Hospital, Arnhem; MST, Enschede; Slingeland Hospital, Doetinchem; AcuteZorg Euregio, Enschede; StanCPR Network; Auckland City Hospital, New Zealand; University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Logistics projects at Albert Heijn, Bol.com, Westphalia DataLab, Hema, Benchmark, Contour Covering Technology BV, PoolPlaza.
Master’s Capita Selecta (Short-term Internship) Supervision (summary)
- Healthcare logistics projects at University Medical Center (UMC) Utrecht, Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NKI-AvL), Willem Kolff Stichting & Nierstichting
Undergraduate (Bachelor) Thesis Supervision (summary)
- Logistics projects at Victoria Hospital, London, Canada; Sint Maartenskliniek, Nijmegen; Acute Zorg Euregio, Enschede; Contour Covering Technology BV, Winterswijk; Demcon Production, Enschede; Royal Lemkes; UMC Utrecht; Deventer Ziekenhuis; MST Enschede; CHOIR Network; Boven Hospital, Amsterdam; CORE Chemistry, Eindhoven.
Instructor, Industrial Engineering & Management Bachelor and Master’s Program (2016 – present)
- Operations Research Techniques 1 (1st quartile, yearly), ~75 students, 5 European Credits (5ECs)
- Warehousing (4th quartile, yearly), ~100 students, 5 ECs
- Professional Skills (2019 – 2020), 160 students
- IEM Research Orientation (2017 – 2018), 60 students, 5 ECs
Coordinator & Instructor, Health Sciences Master's Program (2021 - present)
- Optimizing Healthcare Processes (2nd quartile, yearly), ~25 students, 5 ECs
Instructor, European Association of Hospital Managers (EAHM) (2018)
- Crash course on operations management for hospital managers (together with Ines Marques)
Instructor, Global Faculty Program, Monterrey Inst. of Technology, Mexico (2018)
- Facilities Design and Materials Management, 20 students
- Optimization Models, 20 students
- Applications of Optimization in Healthcare, 30 students
Instructor, Health Sciences Bachelor Program (2016)
- Operations Management (OM) in Healthcare (in Module 4: Optimization of Care), 50 students, 3 ECs
- OM Practicum (in Module 4), 50 students, 3 ECs
- Project: Optimization of Healthcare Processes (in Module 4), 50 students, 1 EC
- Guest lecturer, Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal (2018)
- Author, Case Study on Maximizing Team Diversity in a First-year Engineering Course, University of Toronto (2015)
- Guest Lecturer, MIE 258 Engineering Economics and Accounting, University of Toronto (2015)
- Certificate in Prospective Professors in Training, University of Toronto (2014)
- Guest Lecturer, MIE 468 Facility Planning, University of Toronto (2013)
- Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto (2010 – 2015)
- Teaching Assistant, Division of Engineering Science, University of Toronto (2011)
- Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Combinatorics and Optimization, University of Waterloo (2008 – 2010)
- Chair, Examination Board, TBK/IEM, 2022 – present
- Member, Examination Board, TBK/IEM, 2021 – present
- Member, OLC (Opleidingscommissie – Program Committee), TBK/IEM, 2017 – 2021
Verbonden aan Opleidingen
Vakken Collegejaar 2023/2024
Vakken Collegejaar 2022/2023
In de Pers
Nieuws op utwente.nl