Rick Hogeboom is Executive Director at the Water Footprint Network (WFN), an international non-profit partner and donor organization based in the Netherlands. With WFN, he uses the water footprint concept to promote the transition toward sustainable, fair and efficient use of the world’s fresh water. He is also a researcher at the University of Twente, The Netherlands, where he developed a special interest in and expertise on matters of global water consumption in relation to scarcity, and potential response options for actors involved, including consumers, businesses, NGOs, governments and investors. Finally, Rick is a Program Manager at the Wetskills Foundation, where he leads and organizes international networking and learning events for students and young professionals in the water sector, to find solutions for pressing water issues. Young and energetic, Rick aims to foster and facilitate science-based, practical and inclusive water stewardship.
Karandish, F., Hoekstra, A. Y., & Hogeboom, R. (2018). Groundwater saving and quality improvement by reducing water footprints of crops to benchmarks levels. Advances in water resources, 121, 480-491. DOI: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2018.09.011
van Ginkel, K. C. H., Hoekstra, A. Y., Buurman, J., & Hogeboom, R. J. (2018). Urban Water Security Dashboard: systems approach to characterizing the water security of cities. Journal of water resources planning and management, 144(12). DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000997
Hogeboom, R. J., Kamphuis, I., & Hoekstra, A. Y. (2018). Water sustainability of investors: Development and application of an assessment framework. Journal of cleaner production, 202, 642-648. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.142
Hogeboom, H. J., Knook, L., & Hoekstra, A. Y. (2018). The blue water footprint of the world's artificial reservoirs for hydroelectricity, irrigation, residential and industrial water supply, flood protection, fishing and recreation. Advances in water resources, 113, 285-294. DOI: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2018.01.028
Trogrlić, R., Cumiskey, L., Triyanti, A., Duncan, M. J., Eltinay, N., Hogeboom, R. J., ... Murray, V. (2017). Science and Technology Networks: A Helping Hand to Boost Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015–2030?International journal of disaster risk science (IJDRS), 8(1), 100-105. DOI: 10.1007/s13753-017-0117-x
van Oel, P. R., Mulatu, D. W., Odongo, V. O., Meins, F. M., Hogeboom, H. J., Becht, R., ... van der Veen, A. (2013). The Effects of Groundwater and Surface Water Use on Total Water Availability and Implications for Water Management: the Case of Lake Naivasha Kenya. Water resources management, 27(9), 3477-3492. DOI: 10.1007/s11269-013-0359-3
Lecturing University of Twente
- Water Footprint Assessment, CEM Master course (2016 – date)
- International Study Tour, Master program Civil Engineering (2016)
- Civil Engineering Abroad, Master program Civil Engineering (2016)
- Water Footprint Assessment online e-learning course (2016 – date)
- Tutoring/Mentorate, Bachelor program Civil Engineering (2014-16)
- Water, Bachelor program Civil Engineering (2009-2011)
- Soil Mechanics, Bachelor program Civil Engineering (2009)
Industrial Ecology - System Earth, Leiden University / TU Delft (2017)
B.Sc. thesis supervision
- 2015 Max Veerkamp “Modellering rioolstelsel zuiveringsgebied Rillaar”
- 2015 Sam de Roover “Modelling the Jakarta groundwater system: A Sensitivity Analysis”
- 2016 Kai Hermann “Groundwater model of Dhaka”
- 2017 Dyan Voetdijk “Rioolmodelleringsstudie Lokeren”
M.Sc. thesis supervision
- 2015, Vok Keijsper “Freshwater sustainability criteria in ecolabels: the creation of a freshwater sustainability ecolabel and analysis of the ecolabels in the Netherlands”
- 2016, Jessica de Koning “Defining and distinguishing water footprint benchmarks in crop production”
- 2016, Luuk Knook “The water footprint related to reservoir operation on a global scale”
- 2017, Ilja Kamphuis “Water sustainability of Dutch investors”
- 2017, Kees van Ginkel “Urban water security dashboard: characterizing and ranking cities”
- 2018, Davey de Bruin “Developing water caps for the world’s river basins”
- 2018, Ruben Herrebrugh “The blue and grey water footprint of industry and domestic water supply”
Verbonden aan Opleidingen
Kijk deze Studium Generale lezing voor een helder overzicht van mijn bredere onderzoeksveld.
In de Pers
- 2018, Sep 24 - Interview in KJZZ radioshow "Intel promises to restore 100 percent of its global water use - what does it mean?", listen to the show here.
- 2018, Sep 11 - Interview 1Twente radioshow on Studium Generale lecture I gave that day.
- 2018, Sep 8 - Article in Environmental Finance "Water sustainability is investor 'blind spot', study suggests", find it here.
- 2018, Sep 7 - Interview PensioenPro "Grootste pensioenfondsen lopen achter met esg-beleid over watergebruik", find it here.
- 2018, Sep 4 - Interview H20 "Nederlandse investeerders hebben weinig oog voor waterduurzaamheid", find it here.
- 2018, Aug 26 - Editorial in Water & Sanitation Campaign magazine MediaPlanet "Investors today can avert water crises of tomorrow", find it here.
- 2018, May 2 - TED-talk at TEDxTwenteU "Your Water Footprint Revealed", watch the talk here.
- 2018, Mar 3 - Article in Science Trends "Thirsty Reservoirs - The Water Footprint of Hydroelectric Dam Construction", find it here.
- 2018, Feb 5 - Interview in radioshow the Scholar’s Circle “Water rights, scarcity and water use in perspective”, listen to the show here.
- 2017, Oct 25 - Interview in World Finance “The threat of water scarcity looms large”, find it here.
- 2017, Sep 12 - Interview in Pulse Microsoft Cloud “Zonder de Microsoft Cloud was ons onderzoek niet gelukt”, find it here.
Nieuws op utwente.nl
- 2018, Sep 12 - Interview UToday "Reep chocolade: 17.000 liter water", find it here.
- 2018, Sep 3 - Press release UTwente.nl "Weinig aandacht voor waterduurzaamheid Nederlandse investeerders", find it here. Overgenomen door DuurzaamBeleggen.nl, find it here. In English, find it here.
- 2018, Aug 28 - Article in UToday "Als het aan mij ligt gaan we door met InspireU", find it here.
- 2018, Jul 1 - Interview in Promovabel UT Magazine "Promotieonderzoek naar relatie waterschaarste en consumptie", find it here.
- 2018, May 1 - Interview in UToday "TEDxTwenteU: Your Water Footprint Revealed", find it here.